2.03.2011

A night with friends at Il Giardino

Il Giardino is a restaurant I have been meaning to try.  So a couple weekends ago, my husband and I decided to go try out this fine popular italian restaurant.  I have to admit, I went with high expectations due to its high reviews and popularity.

We went on a Saturday night so it was quite busy and loud inside.  Decor is decent - lighting is warm and dim.  It felt like an authentic, classic little joint in Italy.  Ten minutes after sitting down, the waitress finally came to ask us what we would like to drink.  We were a large group and most people were late.  Apparently, we were only allowed the drinks menu because when I requested for the food menu, the waitress asked if everyone was about to arrive.  I told her I needed to know what I wanted to order for entree before I can decide what wine to pair my entree with.  She said okay and moved on to her other tables.  She did not return with the food menu.  Needless to say, I was not impressed with the service.  The waitress had an assistant that understood and spoke very little english.  He was responsible for bringing us drinks and bread, and removing dirty and excess plates and glasses from our table.  Even with the assistant, throughout the night, my hot water was not filled up after asking several times.

I ordered the Roasted Pheasant Breast Stuffed with Wild Mushrooms.
The sauce and the stuffing were delicious.  I asked the waitress what was in the stuffing other than wild mushrooms, as it had a mushy and soft texture.  She did not know and she said she was going to find out and get back to me.  She never did.  The protein was tender and juicy.  It is difficult to describe but its taste is somewhere in between chicken and turkey.  The sauce, not overpowering, complemented it perfectly.  In all, I enjoyed this dish.  However, I had high expectations as this dish was $40.

My husband ordered the Penne Arrabiata with Chilli and Tomato Sauce

This dish, priced at $18-23 (within that range, cannot remember) had no protein in it.  It was tangy and my husband described it as being decent.  There was no wow factor and he even described it as a little on the bland side.  Since the word "Chilli" was in the name of the dish, he expected it to be spicy.  It wasn't.  

All in all, I do not think my money was well spent.
Food: 3.5/5
Service: 2/5
Atmosphere: 3.5/5
Value: 1/5


I enjoy fine dining but the food was just mediocre; service was less than satisfactory; atmosphere was mediocre; lastly, nothing compensated for the high price tag.  Vancouverites are spoiled enough with many selections of fine dining cuisines for a romantic night out.  I probably will not return to this restaurant.


Dine Out 2011 is about to end and I still have not tried any restaurants.  This Chinese New Year landed right in the middle of Dine Out - it makes it more difficult to plan around family dinners.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to squeeze a Dine Out restaurant visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment