2.06.2011

Goldfish Pacific Kitchen

Goldfish Pacific Kitchen has become my favourite fine dining restaurant.  My experience there was exceptional.  

As I stepped into the restaurant, we were greeted by two hostesses and was promptly seated in this trendy restaurant.  It was a Sunday night at around 6pm - restaurant was not busy with about 5 tables occupied.  The restaurant is quite large in size, and a trendy bar and lounge is available for happy hours.  Atmosphere was perfect and versatile - great for a romantic dinner, a birthday dinner or just a night out with the girls.
We went there intending to have the Dine Out menu.  However, we saw the regular menu and decided to go with it instead since we weren't too crazy about the dessert selection either.
We started off with the...
Crispy Prawn and Scallop Spring Rolls with garlic and fresno chili mayo
Do NOT underestimate springrolls.  These were OH SO DELICIOUS!  I enjoy spring rolls at vietnamese restaurants but these make those spring rolls seem like they're nothing but oil and deep-fried junk.  You can actually taste the freshness of the prawns and scallops inside of these spring rolls.  I also really appreciated the fact that the spring rolls came straight from the deep fryer to our table within seconds as it was really hot.  Also, a hint of spice in the prawn and scallops along with the chili mayo gave me a mouth-gasm after 2 bites.
For entree, I had the...
Mussels and Clams with shallots, garlic, sake, coriander butter
The clams were tasty and the mussels were sooo juicy!  The coriander butter was so good that it had me scooping it and just drinking it.  The greens inside sauce were refreshing so the butter was creamy and not too overpowering.  Usually with this type of entree, the sauce is what makes the dish.  Goldfish aced it.  The bread was mediocre only as I like other types of flatbread more.  The bread that was provided just tasted like warmish cold toasted french baguette.
My husband had the...
10 oz. Canadian Angus New York Strip with hazelmere farms organic coriander crushed potatoes, peppadews and broccolini
The husband ordered this as medium rare/rare.  It was cooked perfectly.  The meat was so tender and the marinade was phenomenal.    I only had two bites and even without the sauce, it was sensational.  I did not try the potatoes but my husband enjoyed them because he usually doesn't eat them.  The sweet and tangy peppadews contrasted with the protein perfectly.
We also ordered a side of...
SQUASH AND SPROUTS with winter squash, brussels sprouts, and bacon
I scooped a spoonful already before taking this picture because it smelt so good I couldn't resist and forgot about the picture.  Wow, this is one of the best vegetable side dish I have ever tasted.  Cooked with olive oil and tossed with bacon bits, the brussel sprouts and the squash ( i believe it to be pumpkin squash) were delicious - definitely not a boring vegetable side dish.  I just wish they served it in a larger portion because I can eat that on its own as an entree!
I have nothing bad to say about the service.  Our server Maggie promptly served us with a pleasant smile on her face.  Food was quick and a new pot of hot water was brought to our table without being asked.  When our table was too crowded with dishes and utensils, she removed the pot of hot water but she kept on eyeing our table to see if everything was okay.  A new hot water was brought to me when my glass was almost empty.  Dirty dishes were promptly removed from the table.  She came back to us to check up on us enough times without being annoying.  Fantastic service.


I was pleasantly surprised with my experience at Goldfish.  This will undoubtedly be my go-to restaurant for special occasions.  Provence Marinaside used to be my go-to restaurant but this is perfect in every regard.  I think Provence aims for more mature diners but this restaurant aims for a younger crowd.
Atmosphere: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Food: 5/5
Value: 5/5
We did not order any drinks (*note that I'm not really an alcohol person, I usually like my hot water with lemon) and our bill came up to 90ish + tip but the overall experience was well worth it.  We will be back again very soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment